Chief’s Smoke Signal
Welcome to the 2018 Laconia Youth Football and Cheer Association’s season! This is our weekly newsletter where you will find updates, schedules, and important information that will guide you through the season. This newsletter can also be found on our Laconia Chiefs’ web page. If you have any questions at any point during the season, grab a board member or coach and ask.
Our season officially begins on 7/30 at 5:30 at Memorial Park. This is where a majority of our practices will take place. The preseason practices, that run through the first game of the season on 8/26 will be Monday through Thursday, 5:30 – 8, with a rain date of Fridays in case of inclement weather. Please be advised that football practices are cancelled ONLY in the event of thunder and lightning. However, the Parks and Recreation Department may see fit to close a field due to heavy rains. If you have not heard whether a practice is cancelled or not, assume that it has NOT been cancelled and come to practice.
On the first day of practice we will need from you the 3 following items:
- A COPY of your child’s birth certificate (if they have never played for us before)
- 2 copies of your child’s LAST report card that shows the grades for all 4 quarters
- A doctor’s note, dated AFTER the 1st of this year (2018) that allows your child to participate in athletics.
If we do not have these items your child CANNOT begin practice and is now behind everyone who can.
The biggest off season change that we made as an organization was the
implementation of our new Concussion Protocol. Safety must be our first concern. If you child complains to a coach about a head injury (not that his head hurts because his helmet is too tight) the following WILL occur, no exceptions:
Concussion or Possible Concussion
- If a child cannot or will not return to the field of play or practice because, according to them, they are experiencing concussion-like symptoms (and they state such to a coach), that child will immediately be removed from the field of play or practice. They will be sent home with a parent and not be allowed to return to the field until they have a doctor’s note that states they are cleared to return to begin concussion protocols.
- LYFCA concussion protocol will include but not be limited to the following;
1:Stage I: 3 practices of light calisthenics and jogging, without pads. If the child can do these without
recurring concussion like symptoms, they may advance to Stage II.
2:Stage II; 3 practices of calisthenics and jogging with pads, no contact. If the child can do these
without concussion like symptoms, they may advance to Stage III.
3:Stage III: 3 practices of contact and game-like situations. If the child can do these without
concussion like symptoms they will then be cleared to participate in games or competitions.
4:If, at any time during the concussion protocol stages the child experiences any concussion like
symptoms, they must return to Section A.
To paraphrase this, if your child complains of a head injury you are looking at 4 weeks out prior to being able to return to the field to play. Safety first!!
As the season begins, please remember the chain of command when addressing issues or concerns: Book Mom, Coach, Football Director, Vice President, President, and Board Meeting.
We are looking forward to a great season!!!
Dates to Remember:
7/30 – 8/2: First week of practice. 5:30 – 8 @ Memorial Park
8/3 – Practice Rain date
8/19 – Jamboree @ LHS
8/26 – First game: Location and times TBD
Remember: Good People First, Good Players Second